- Suomi NPP satellite sees Typhoon Lan's 50 nautical-mile wide eye October 20, 2017NASA-NOAA's Suomi NPP satellite passed overhead and captured an image of Typhoon Lan in the Northwestern Pacific Ocean and saw a well-organized storm with a clear eye that was 50 nautical miles in diameter.
- Microsoft, Green Bay Packers launch tech initiative in Wisconsin October 20, 2017Microsoft is making a move into Green Bay Packers country, expanding its efforts to bring digital connectivity and tech training to small cities and rural areas across the country.
- A step closer to understanding quantum mechanics: Physicists develop a new quantum simulation protocol October 20, 2017For most everyday experiences, such as riding a bicycle, using a lift or catching a ball, classical (Newtonian) mechanics is perfectly accurate.
- Global CO2 emissions stalled for the third year in a row October 20, 2017The annual assessment of global greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by the JRC and the Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency (PBL) confirms that CO2 emissions have stalled for the third year in a row.
- Men at the top play by different rules, expert says October 20, 2017Gary Powell, professor emeritus of business, is an internationally recognized scholar and educator on gender, diversity, and work-family issues in the workplace. He has also served as chair of the Women in Management (now Gender and Diversity in Organizations) division of the Academy of Management, and is a prolific author. As accusations against American fi […]
- BMW offices get 'inspection' in preliminary collusion probe October 20, 2017BMW said Friday that European Commission staff conducted an "inspection" at company offices in Munich earlier this week in connection with news media allegations that German carmakers colluded on technology including diesel emission controls.
- Why we need to improve cloud computing's security October 20, 2017Do you often use Facebook? How about Snapchat, Gmail, Dropbox, Slack, Google Drive, Spotify or Minecraft? Perhaps all of them? Bottom line, if you use an online social network, e-mail program, data storage service or a music platform, you are almost certainly using cloud computing.
- Team to debut wearables that warn and wow at UIST 2017 October 20, 2017A watch that works in multiple dimensions and a smart ring that provides calendar alerts are among the top technology Dartmouth College will bring to the 30th ACM User Interface Software and Technology Symposium (UIST 2017).
- China bans foreign waste – but what will happen to the world's recycling? October 20, 2017The dominant position that China holds in global manufacturing means that for many years China has also been the largest global importer of many types of recyclable materials. Last year, Chinese manufacturers imported 7.3m metric tonnes of waste plastics from developed countries including the UK, the EU, the US and Japan.
- NTU deploys Singapore's first long-span wind turbine October 20, 2017Ushering in winds of change in clean energy, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NTU Singapore) has deployed the nation's first long-span wind turbine at Semakau Landfill, which is one of several to be installed in Singapore's drive towards sustainable energy solutions.